Denton Poets' Assembly will meet again on July 16th for poetry readings by members and guests at the Emily Fowler Public Library from 10 am – noon.
J. Paul Holcomb will not be in attendance as he is participating the Poetry Society of Texas Summer Conference.
We will not have a formal assignment this month but for those who shared a non-rhyming poem in June, we ask you to consider taking that poem and changing it to a sonnet based on the lesson from J. Paul last month. Optionally, feel free to read a free choice poem in lieu of a sonnet.
Formal readings of our sonnets will be read in August.
Following our first reading members and guest will be given an opportunity to read free-choice poems.
July is a busy month for PST members and DPA members with many of our number taking in the summer conference from July 14th to July 16th.
Denton Poets' Assembly in the News
On June 6th the DPA Board met. Rich Weatherly, Patrick Marshall, Chris Irving, and Annie Neugebauer were present. Being a quorum, the following business items were discussed and decisions reached or actions taken, as indicated.
- PST Summer Conference—Items for Life Membership Fund / Raffle It was discussed and agreed that DPA would fund two gift baskets valued at approximately $50.00 to support this program. Each gift would be composed of one copy of Merging Visions 2016: Collections VI and a $25.00 gift certificate.
- PST Poetry in Schools program, there was discussion and agreement that DPA would fund two student contests. One would be in the name of Deb Davis as in the past and one would honor Becca Hines for all she does for poetry (DPA) and art (VAST). The funding for each award will be $37.50 for the contest sponsorship and one year PST Student Membership.
- The PST Summer Conference is July 14-16 this year. Information is available at poetrysocietyoftexas.org. The 16th is our regularly scheduled monthly meeting. The following summarizes our discussions agreements.
- We encouraged our members to attend the PST Summer Conference, if possible.
- We sponsored a contest, giving them a chance to win registration, meals and lodging. Winners were announced at the June 18, DPA meeting.
We had 8 entries; J. Paul, Nancy, Cindy, Beth, Bob, John, Chris, Richard
Judge, Lynn Lewis, commented, “This was fun,” DPA has some great poets.
1. Chris Irving wins the prize!
2. Bob Schinzel, placed second
3. John Irving, placed third
- For those who cannot or choose not to attend the PST Summer Conference it was decided that the DPA meeting would be held as scheduled on July 16, Rich Weatherly will be in Denton to host the meeting.
- The PST Catherine Case Lubbe Manuscript Award, the deadline for submission must be postmarked by August 1, 2016.
- The PST Annual Contest poems must be postmarked by August 15, 2016.
the Poetry Society of Texas website)
- Silver Birch Press, “When I moved,” call for submissions - Poetry and Prose. Deadline August 15, 2016.
DPA — NFSPS Winners, detailed results are available at http://nfsps.com/2016winners
- Diane Glancy
- J. Paul Holcomb
- Chris Irving
- Bob Schinzel
- T. Jervis Underwood
Poetry was shared by members, for free reads and assignment.
Patrick presented awards to those poets who wrote a parallel poem.
The following people were elected officers for 2016–2017 at the June 18, 2016, meeting.
Elected for 2016-2017
Patrick Lee Marshall
Honorary Board Member
J. Paul Holcomb
Denton Poets’ Assembly meets on the third Saturday of the month, 10AM - Noon at the Emily Fowler Central Library, 502 Oakland Street, Denton, TX 76201. Meetings are free and open to the public. Everyone is welcome. For more information, visit www.DentonPoetsAssembly.weebly.com